Looking for something I mentioned in a post? You can find it in my shop!

Looking for something I mentioned in one of my posts? You can find it here, at my shop! Just click! Thank you for your support! A Gathering of Days Shop

Thursday, March 30, 2017

The Joy of Simple Things

Grace Noll Crowell has long been a favorite of mine, with her charming reflections on the home.  Her words reflect the soul of a "kindred spirit", who takes the time observe the small, ordinary moments and details of life.  If I'm having a busier than I'd prefer kind of day or just need a little pick me up, reading her works always sets my heart to rest.  If you haven't discovered Grace Noll Crowell, I'd encourage you to look her up!  I've found several of her poems online, which have quickly become personal favorites, and her collections, which are mostly oop, are available from Amazon.

I have found such joy in simple things;
A plain, clean room, a nut-brown loaf of bread,
A cup of milk, a kettle as it sings,
The shelter of a roof above my head,
And in a leaf-laced square along the floor,
Where yellow sunlight glimmers through the door.

I have found such joy in things that fill
My quiet days: a curtain's blowing grace,
A potted plant upon my window sill,
A rose, fresh-cut and placed within a vase;
A table cleared, a lamp beside a chair,
And books I long have loved beside me there.

Oh, I have found such joys I wish I might
Tell every woman who goes seeking far
For some elusive, feverish delight
That very close to home the great joy                                                      
The elemental things- old as the race
Yet never, through the ages, commonplace.

 ~ Grace Noll Crowell

No comments:

Post a Comment