Looking for something I mentioned in a post? You can find it in my shop!

Looking for something I mentioned in one of my posts? You can find it here, at my shop! Just click! Thank you for your support! A Gathering of Days Shop

Friday, January 6, 2017

Vintage Books on Birds

Continuing with my bird theme today, I haven't had any visitors to my little suet feeder yet, but as I mentioned yesterday it does take awhile for birds to find your feeder and they also might be cautious of the placement because there are not any trees or bushes nearby to offer them an escape.  But I'm hoping a few will eventually be brave and pay me a visit.  

It is in the 20's today and I have been delighting in watching a few snow flurries outside my window!  They are calling for a light dusting this afternoon and for Texas I'll take it, especially since the forecast for next week is into the 70's again! Texas weather, we try to keep everyone happy year round.

Today I wanted to share some links to some lovely resources that I used from time to time during our homeschooling days.  These are vintage books that are in the public domain (Google Books) that focus primarily on birds.  Even though they were written years ago, I still find the information relevant and the illustrations in a few of them are truly beautiful! First I'll offer some titles that are good resources for learning more about birds in general.

A Child's First Book About Birds by A Country Clergyman
Birds Worth Knowing by Neltje Blanchan
Bird Neighbors by Neltje Blanchan
How to Attract the Birds by Neltje Blanchan
What Bird is That? by Frank Michler Chapman
Color Key to North American Birds by Frank Michler Chapman

And then there is this lovely series by Madeline Leslie.


It has been a number of years since I've enjoyed this sweet series, but thery are perfect for sharing with your littles, although honestly, I love these sweet stories myself!

Before I go, I wanted to share this sweet postcard with you!  I thought it was just lovely and fitting for this post!  I hope that wherever you are today you are blessed, warm and filled!  

Until then, my friends, take joy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment