Looking for something I mentioned in a post? You can find it in my shop!

Looking for something I mentioned in one of my posts? You can find it here, at my shop! Just click! Thank you for your support! A Gathering of Days Shop

Friday, January 13, 2017

I'm In! 52 Weeks to an Organized Home

I've seen a lot of posts this week from friends who are participating in Home Storage Solutions 52 Weeks to an Organized Home, so I decided a little late in the game to go ahead and join in.

Now as many of you may know, I am currently living with and caring for my mom, but since I am now the one who is primarily responsible for cooking and cleaning, my mom has no qualms with any cleaning and organizing that I want to do.  And since I am also a busy mom myself, and a full time college student, I decided that this might be just the organizational tool I need to keep things running efficiently for all of us while breaking it down into easy doable steps.

This week's challenge is Countertops and Sinks and essentially just thinking through how the space in your kitchen functions and flows.

So here's the first picture. This is the main working space in the kitchen, which as you can see is small and limited.  There is a another counter on the other side of the sink, but it is where we keep the toaster and coffee maker and actually has less space than this one.


As you can probably tell, I had just finished scrubbing and wiping down the countertops so they are pretty and shiny.  In my own home I didn't keep canisters on the counter and instead kept my flour and sugar and such in plastic containers in the cabinet.  But my mom loves her cow canisters so even though they do take up a little space they are pretty easy to work around.

Another thing that was mentioned in this post was keeping the kitchen table as clutter free as possible.  So here is our table, which is actually my table that I brought with me when I moved in.  Mom's table and chairs were old and she only had 2 chairs, so she was happy to let me put my beloved black table in the dining area of the kitchen.  So this is as cleared as I typically keep the table since I prefer a few decorative pieces in the middle.  The fruit basket and antique spool candleholders are mine and the chicken and rooster belong to my mom.  I love the way our things just naturally work together to make for a lovely home for all of us.



"The kitchen is the heart of the home."
And then finally, here is cozy picture of the shelf where I keep our dishes.  Since my mom's kitchen (her house was built in 1957), has very little cabinet space.  I opted when I moved in to keep our dishes on a black shelf that we have used in our kitchen for years now, very often for this very purpose.  It seems I've lived in a number of places with limited cabinet space, and displaying them on this shelf has been something I've done many times before.  I have two sets of dishes, one yellow (pictured) and another set that is red.  It is a cold, rainy day here and I just love how cozy and warm this picture looks.

So there you have it, my efforts to organize this space we share, my childhood home.  I have so many memories of my life here, and it's really so nice to be making new memories again with my mom and my daughter.  Here is a picture of the kitchen from this afternoon after I had finished cleaning it.  I would love to sand these old cabinets down and paint them, but there's also something so comforting about the memories that this room evokes.  I do plan to hang a blind and some cute curtains in that window though.  The house faces the east and the kitchen is on the back side of the house, so when the sun comes through that west window in the late afternoon it is almost blinding!



If you'd like to know more about the challenge you can do so here.

And now I'm off to make one of my girl's favorite's, Tater Tot Casserole, for supper!

Until then, my friends, take joy!

ADDENDUM: Nothing like taking a picture to point out where you've fallen behind.  The potholders just above the stove have been there since, oh, late September!  I have other potholders for daily use so I honestly never think much about these.  They have since been removed! Maybe I should walk around and take pictures all through the house! 

SaveSave
Save

No comments:

Post a Comment