Looking for something I mentioned in a post? You can find it in my shop!

Looking for something I mentioned in one of my posts? You can find it here, at my shop! Just click! Thank you for your support! A Gathering of Days Shop

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

A Lovely Series

Tonight while purchasing a few last minute gifts for Christmas, I happened  across a lovely little series of books by Susan Witting Albert.

Having long been a fan of China Bayle's Book of Days, I was surprised to discover that she had written another series of mystery books based on the life of Beatrix Potter and her lovely woodland animal friends.

Known as the Cottage Tale Series, the first book is The Tale of Hilltop Farm,  which tells us how Beatrix Potter acquired her farm in the tiny hamlet of Near Sawrey, and how her farm began to change her life.

Other books in the series, in order, include;

- The Tale of Holly How
- The Tale of Cuckoo Brow Wood
- The Tale of Hawthorn House
- The Tale of Briar Bank
- The Tale of Appleback Orchard
- The Tale of Oat Cake Crag
and
- The Tale of Castle Cottage

I picked up the first book in the series in mass market paperback for a wee penny, although sadly, the shipping was $3.99, but still $4.00 for a book in "excellent condition" is still a good price and a little luxury I can afford to treat myself to from time to time.  If I like it as much as I think I will I may eventually try to secure the set in hardcover and add it to my permanent collection, but since I'm not a big fan of mystery it remains to be seen if Beatrix Potter and her band of woodland friends will be enough to win me over!

I also discovered that the author has a delightful website dedicated entirely to the series which includes The Cottage Tale News, a lovely little newsletter that you can download (pdf) for FREE! There are also downloadable maps of each village featured in the series, instructions for hosting a tea party complete with recipes, and pages dedicated to other books about and written by Beatrix Potter.  It's really quite delightful! Perhaps I'll consider re-reading Ms. Potter's works in the Spring along with a biography or two?  I may even host a tea party around Easter and watch the movie while we feast on shortbread cookies and tea!  But those are all big plans and here we haven't even finished with Christmas!  I have so many books I want to read over the holiday break and I'm already working on my reading list for 2017.  Perhaps the Cottage Tale Series will make the cut? 
Save
SaveSave
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment